Friday, February 4, 2011

This week

I haven't been as good about updating the blog this week.  If you must know the real, God honest, couldn't be truer, truth...it's because I've spent the majority of my week enjoying my kids.  Something I don't know that I've done enough of in the past month.  I guess with Joe starting his new job in January and not being around as much to help now, I've just been so busy trying to find a rhythm and trying to figure out how to make this work.  The truth is, before now, I've been beyond lucky to have Joe around through the days.  People ask how I do it with twins and the answer is Joe.  But it's a lot more me currently.  So I'm really starting to get a better sense of stay at home mommyhood.  It's an exhausting job.  And I don't think I'd want to do anything else. 

That being said, because I've been so preoccupied in the past few weeks with trying to just make it work each day, I've managed to forget to just have fun with the babies.  Laundry needs to be done, dinner needs to be prepared, it's pretty necessary that I vacuum every day or we'll be up to our knees in Cheerios by weeks end...but when do I just hang out with the babies?  One of the fortunate things about twins is that by age one, they are quite content playing with each other so you can get more free time than mothers who just have one.  And while I'm grateful for that, I think I may have been taking advantage of it to much.  I realized this week, while looking at a picture of Davey and how incredibly tall he is, that I'm missing it.  I'm missing the inches he's growing and the amazing literal strides Charlie takes everyday despite being in a brace.  Fortunately, I'm noticing this now, so I've spent this week hanging out.  On the floor.  Reading book after book.  Listening to Bon Iver and Okkervil River and Dean and Britta and Beirut and watching my kids dance and spin to my favorite songs.  It has been...delightful.  And I'm making a promise to myself to stop letting the time slip so easily.

They won't stop growing.  I won't stop loving their faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment