Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hospital Day Three

Day three?  Day three. Ugh.  Hospitals, though I appreciate what they do and why they exist, suck.  Everythings cold and concrete and florescent and clinical.  I know it's supposed to be.  That doesn't mean I have to like it.

So around 5pm last night, the nurse came around to check her vitals per usual.  I'd noticed that Charlie's cheeks had gotten really flushed and she was hot all over.  Being in a spica cast will raise your body temp already, so thats to be expected.  But now she was so red in the face and I suspected a fever (also pretty normal after surgery, if it's low grade).  They took her temp and sure enough it was around 99.  Not a big deal.  Just keep an eye on it.  They took her temp an hour later - 101.7.  Pretty warm, but still ok all things considered.  Another hour after that - 103.1.  My heart dropped.  Was it infection?  Pneumonia?  It's not a number you want to hear concerning your little baby. I know there are much worse things to hear or deal with, but in that moment, it felt like the worst.  We're supposed to go home.  I just want to go.  What if we can't go home...

So pitiful.



I know that sounds selfish, but I just want to take my baby home where I can rock her and she can have her comfy things and her bed and her brother. 

She's been taking loratab for pain which has some tylenol in it, but the liquid stuff smells like paint thinner and shes been spitting it out when they give it to her.  So they had to give her a tylenol suppository.  Fortunately, that worked pretty quickly and within an hour the fever was gone.  Around 3am it was back up to 102.7, they gave her another round of tylenol, and within 30 minutes the fever was gone.  The nurse said if the pain is manageable with tylenol that probably rules out infection and her lungs sound good so that rules out pneumonia.  Which means all of this is probably what I hoped and assumed: a lot of stress.  It could be something like a urinary tract infection because she's on a catheter right now.  Let's hope not.

A doctor just came in and said they might want to keep her another night just to make sure everything checks out.  Ultimately it's our doctor's call.  So we'll see.  I want whatever is best for her, of course. 

She's pretty worn out today.  It's been a long few days.  The spasms are getting pretty bad and they keep her from sleeping.  And you can tell she just wants to sleep.  It's hard to watch.  It's hard to not be able to do anything.  But they'll go away.  We just have to ride the wave.

Trooper pooper scooper.

She's awesome.

2 comments:

  1. You are a trooper of a mommy, I can't imagine how helpless you feel :( Soon she will be all better and this will just be an ugly memory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are on your way home or there. home sweet home. warm cuddly brother and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete