Monday, December 13, 2010

Little Readers

My kids are so cool.  They could care less about tv and silly distractions.  They love to just sit in a pile of books on the floor and flip through page after page.  And I love to watch them enjoy that.  My mom was a librarian and reading was a pretty heavily enforced ritual in our home.  I'm so glad that it was.  I can associate so many favorite childhood memories with books.  Most noteably this time of year, I can remember we'd sit together and read Twas the Night Before Christmas before bed all through December.  Having heard it so many times, though I couldn't read at the time, I knew what words were on each page based on the pictures.  I especially loved the part when I got to say "...eight TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINY reindeer."  I was a dramatic reader, I guess.

My mom's been sending books to the kids over the past couple of months.  She has a running list on Amazon.  There are books she finds on kids book review lists that she'll send, but I personally love that she's been sending some of my favorite childhood books.


I am SO excited to own these!  I love how seeing books from my childhood brings back so many happy memories.  I love that BOOKS can do that.  I hope that same thing for my kids.

While looking through these books I realized why I love the colors that I do...
Im just so excited to share all this magic with Charlie and Davey.  I can't wait till they are old enough to not rip up pages out of paper books.  But I shouldn't go wishing away time.  For now, The Snowy Day is in board book form and is totally appropriate right now, anyway!  We read it the other night, all snuggled up in the bed and it was basically perfect. 



5 comments:

  1. woah! those are totally your favorite colors! no wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. books bring back so many memories. i read every day all the time. i wish i could find all those books from our childhood. how amazing would that be?! They will love reading because you love it. for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture you got of snowy day. It's so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carey - my mom has scoured the interweb and found nearly all the books I remember. My sister Hannah is a fanatical childrens book collector (she's an elementary school teacher). And I'm pretty sure my sister Rachel still has all her baby sitters club books. These kids are hooked up. I highly recommend shopping on amazon for used BOARD books. Babies can tear up (and eat) paper books. They seem to gradually get over it. But board books really allow them to just play with books and really familiarize witem. Charlie loves to flip pages and davey talks to his books.

    Han - I forgot just how magical that book was. Kinda teared up actually.

    ReplyDelete