Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Perspective


This article in New York Magazine (via ali loves curtis) was really interesting for me to read on a day where my kids have been less than cooperative.  We didn't have good naps today, Charlie woke me up at 2am, Davey was up by 5am, Charlie has a scratch on her face from Davey getting mad at her and Davey got his hand smashed by Charlie getting back at him.  The volume has been cranked to 13 throughout the day.  There's also been cute moments and I know that my parenting experience isn't typical, but still, I know that even with just one, you can't anticipate how hard it will be.  And even if you think "I know it'll be hard in the beginning, but it's worth it", yes it is worth it, but you can't anticipate just how long that "beginning" actually is.  Not to freak out any future mothers that might read this, but the beginning is NOT a month or two. 

Reading this article made me feel good and bad.  I don't hate parenting.  I almost hate some days.  But I don't hate parenting.  It's my life.  I don't want to hate my life.  So I feel bad that I related to a lot of this article.  On the other hand, I appreciate that there's actual statistical data that supports feelings the way I do sometimes.  Charlie and Davey are beautiful amazing people and I am blessed that they are part of my life. I'm lucky the came to me. I will always feel that way.  But it's hard, yall.  Kids are hard.

My dad and I have had a lot of back and forth about this (he's who I call when I have the full on melt downs with the crying and everything) and I emailed him a link to this article.  This was his response, for those looking for further perspective (like me):

This passage says it all. You need to read "Home Work" by Wendell Berry. I've got it at home. I'll show it to you later.
I certainly feel blessed by having children, although I don't feel like I did all that much raising. Maybe that's the point. Maybe people put TOO MUCH into this raising thing. Keep them from killing themselves and others, get them grown...
If I have one over arching regret it's that I didn't require enough chores of my children. They need chores to feel like productive members of the family. Wendell says it better. I'll show you that essay.

"Before urbanization, children were viewed as economic assets to their parents. If you had a farm, they toiled alongside you to maintain its upkeep; if you had a family business, the kids helped mind the store. But all of this dramatically changed with the moral and technological revolutions of modernity. As we gained in prosperity, childhood came increasingly to be viewed as a protected, privileged time, and once college degrees became essential to getting ahead, children became not only a great expense but subjects to be sculpted, stimulated, instructed, groomed. (The Princeton sociologist Viviana Zelizer describes this transformation of a child’s value in five ruthless words: “Economically worthless but emotionally priceless.”) Kids, in short, went from being our staffs to being our bosses."

This was the part that stuck out most to me:

“I think this boils down to a philosophical question, rather than a psychological one,” says Gilovich. “Should you value moment-to-moment happiness more than retrospective evaluations of your life?” He says he has no answer for this, but the example he offers suggests a bias. He recalls watching TV with his children at three in the morning when they were sick. “I wouldn’t have said it was too fun at the time,” he says. “But now I look back on it and say, ‘Ah, remember the time we used to wake up and watch cartoons?’ ” The very things that in the moment dampen our moods can later be sources of intense gratification, nostalgia, delight.


It’s a lovely magic trick of the memory, this gilding of hard times. Perhaps it’s just the necessary alchemy we need to keep the species going. But for parents, this sleight of the mind and spell on the heart is the very definition of enchantment.

I love being a mom.  Sometimes I have to remind myself of that and even convince myself of that, but I love being a mom.  These babies are wonderful.  Truly.

4 comments:

  1. I love that excerpt about kids once having a more active role in a family's existence. We have gotten so far away from that, and it is apparent in family units and young adults across the country. I know all adults say this but seriously I feel like I have no idea who the new generation is or what the next generation will find themselves doing!

    We went to the movies the other night and 5 kids about 12-14 years old sat behind us talking, making noises (burping, farting), singing etc during the whole film! We asked the 4 times to stop. FInally AJ got the manager to come in, he said if they did it again they would be asked to leave. Manager left, and they continued doing it. I mean they were 12 years old at an R rated movie about a drunk country singer! Why were they there and where were there parents?

    This caused my friends and i to have a discussion about kids and how they have changed over the years. And, I honestly think it has more to do with how we spend our times as families and less to do with how much time we spend with our family.

    I loved this quote from the article...

    "all parents spend more time today with their children than they did in 1975, including mothers, in spite of the great rush of women into the American workforce. Today’s married mothers also have less leisure time (5.4 fewer hours per week); 71 percent say they crave more time for themselves (as do 57 percent of married fathers). Yet 85 percent of all parents still—still!—think they don’t spend enough time with their children."

    Now families spend time in front of multiple computers, tvs, and video consoles. They don't eat dinner together, they don't cook together, they don't do anything together. Or they enroll their kids in everything for the sake of activity - quantity over quality. .

    What ever happened to kids being an active member of the family? It's so true! If they were then parent's probably wouldn't feel as stressed. But it seems a lot of it comes down to expectation too. The expectation we put on ourselves as individuals, partners in a relationship and parents.

    I really want to be a good mom. But more than that I want to have a good life. One of my biggest fears is that having a child will change my relationship with Nathan in a "negative" way ie. less time devoted to each other, fighting, or stress related issues. I feel bad saying that out loud but it is the truth. I want kids, and I want our baby girl, but I want more than that to preserve a healthy life. I don't know how that works, though. I mean isn't that an expectation in and of itself?

    Maybe we should all remind ourselves that we are individuals. You are Maggie. And, I am Carey. And over the years we have decorated our homes with beautiful things including our husbands and our children. But you are still Maggie. And I am still Carey. And like anything we have to cultivate the foundation for the rest to grow and flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every stage of being a mom has its ups and downs - even when you hit your late 50's. The rewards are still there, but so are the heartaches - when you're overwhelmed, think of the opposite, being underwhelmed.

    Charlie and Davey will grow up so fast, so fast. The fast part is the labor-intensive part; when it slows down, and everyone is where they're supposed to be, the silence can be deafening. I pick up the phone whenever it rings, and Jim does the same thing. We're both glad to hear from anybody (o.k., not the bill collector who keeps calling for Anita Van Childers), but there's a Maggie a and Hannah and a Joey and a David, and I know we're both hoping for the same thing.

    I hope the consolation is the same when I get to the next stage - I spend a lot more time, a lot more time, talking to my mother, really talking. That's been the blessing of this time of my life. I hope when I no longer have her that the cycle will move on, and I'll have you and Hannah, and your kids will be at that "what do I need a mom for?" stage, and guess what, I'll be here!

    (I didn't mean to imply that you're at that "what do I need a mom for?" stage - you're at that "how can they need me so much?" stage. Remember for a moment when you were teenagers and I used to jump at the chance to go with you to a movie, or out to eat with you? Don't think it won't happen to you!!

    It's just the cycle of life, the cycle of life, and, believe me, I spend more time than I'd like to thinking about being on the waning side. Then I talk to you, and both of the kids are screaming non-stop, and I tell myself, you're finally at the part where you get some rest, so just rest! Like they say, there's a reason you have kids when you're young enough to handle it -

    It's a nice thought . . . think I'll go rest. Typing is hard.

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. carey - im just now responding to this. what the h?

    i think everything, EVERYTHING, in life is a balance. it takes more effort than i ever imagined, to live a balance life. on a smaller scale, i remember when my brother first got wii fit and they have the balance tests to see if you have good posture. and all of their excersises include making sure your body weight is perfectly balanced while you're doing your yoga poses or whatever. it's incredible to see just how out of balance i am. and i feel like that's kind of a metaphor for my life. i want to make that little red ball stay on the line. but it's hard work.

    it won't always be perfect. it's hard now that both parents in the home typically work. or if they dont, distractions are multiplying every day so that even if you are home, you dont even have to be in the same room with your kids. the tv can do that for you. now, im all for having your space and time to walk away from the kids for a minute. it's important. and i think kids learn from independence. but i dont think anything can be more rewarding to a child's self esteem than knowing they are an important part of the family machine. they are part of what keeps it going. THATS why i want my kids to do chores and contribute just as much as i want to play scrabble with them. i want them to know they also make this thing function.

    my mom gave us chores and put us in the kitchen to help make meals. we didnt eat fast food much at all. i feel like thats one of the most important things i took from growing up with her. the time she spent with us, teaching us how bread rises and about the hard ball stage when you're making divinity fudge, the time she took showing us that comet and the rough side of a sponge is the best way to clean the tub, thats stuff i still use. thats stuff that will now help me function as a mother. i guess that's the kind of parent i want to be. i dont want to just raise my kids. i want to prepare them.

    it's hard on marriage, carey. kids are. but i dont think thats a bad thing. yes it will change your relationship. also not a bad thing. you think it's perfect now, but when you're handed these huge challenges and you have to face them on no sleep and you don't know how to NOT snap, and then you come back together and you apologize for the silly things and you realize you can't do this without the other person, you realize how much better things just got. im sure that seems almost cliche to say, but this stuff makes you even better. you're about to love nathan more than you ever thought you could. when you see him with that baby and you see him read to her and bathe her and show her whats outside the window...trust me. love is about to get even more amazing. it's beyond worth it, all the challenges. and there will be days that you just won't click like you used to. but there will be days when you go to the park and have a picnic with your husband and your little girl. id say thats more than a fair trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom - i love you. you've been incredible with advice all of my life. but lately you've really said all the things i needed to hear.

    thanks for being my mom.
    im so lucky.

    ReplyDelete