Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday mornings

When I was little, maybe 4 or 5, I remember my parents would get us up on Saturday mornings and we'd have pancakes for breakfast while listening to Paul Simon's album, Graceland.  I have to tell you, this is one of the most specific childhood memories I have.  I don't think I can eat pancakes or hear that album without immediately transporting back to that time, just a little bit.  I knew when I started my own family, that would be a memory I'd want to recreate in my own home. 

So this morning, after the kids slept the whole night through (yay!  we're FINALLY getting back on track post holiday), I put them in the living room to play while I made heart shaped pancakes.  I don't have a copy of Graceland anymore...in all my moving it most have gotten lost.  But I found a cd I made for Joe when we first started dating, full of happy little love songs and I felt like that would be just as nice as ol' Paul singing to us as we ate. 

And happy it was.




We love pancakes.

I should've cleaned my stove before taking that first picture.  Can you handle the reality???

As I mentioned, we listened to an old mixed cd I'd made for Joe.  I wanted to share one of the songs on it because it's just so perfect.  I didn't know how perfect it was until I was married and the kids came along and all that "marriage is work" stuff started to make more sense.  While this song is sung from a guys perspective, I feel like it can apply to anyone. 



I wish I could do better by
you
Cause that's what you deserve
You sacrafice so much of
your life
In order for this to work
While I'm off chasing my own dreams
Sailin' around the world
Please know that I'm yours to keep
My beautiful girl

Goosebumps.  Like, everytime. 

I love you, Joe.

3 comments:

  1. That song...LOVE IT!! One of my former students burned me a cd with this song on it. He told me it was a love song but "it's not for you or anything, Ms. P." Gosh, I love my kids sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its so good right? i remember hearing it a few years ago and thinking "now this is more like real love". every time i hear its like im hearing it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sad reality is, until only recently, Carey's experience with pancakes consisted of a box, some milk (water?) and a frying pan. A few weeks (months?) ago I got brave, as I don't cook very often, and made us some REAL pancakes for breakfast. Since then, it has become a staple ingredient in our Sunday mornings.

    Like you, Carey has clear memories of her dad making her pancakes. She is particular to the 'crispy bits' that cling to the edges and prefers peanut butter to maple syrup.

    I have attempted a few different pancake shapes but so far have stuck to... round.

    ReplyDelete